Sunday, January 06, 2008

Things

I find it hard to get "attached" to things. The closest I come is that half-finished craft project I refuse to throw any further than my closet. 

Today was clean-out day. Happens once or twice a year. Unlike some people I could mention, I acknowledge that I live in a small house. And unless I want the local newspaper to report my death by detailing the clutter I live in, I need to periodically cull my possessions. 

You'll probably never hear me say, "I'm keeping that for sentimental reasons." I can understand the behavior in others, to a certain extent - I get keeping that wedding dress, for instance. 

Keeping that horror of '80's fashion that was your wedding travel jumpsuit? Not so much. It's just stuff. Keep it light, you'll move faster. (I should say here that I'm still absolutely amazed by the amount of stuff I live with and find necessary. Just try to pry that stainless steel cook set out of my cold, dead hands.) 

So today was Day 1 of the clear-out - the master bedroom. I am ruthless on clear-out. If you made it through the cut last time, and I haven't touched you since - it's time to go. Clothes with tags still on them, shirts that have seen better days and better waistlines. Total of five bags of clothes, purses, shoes and miscellany. 

If there is one group of things I can get sentimental about, it's my books. But even there, I was coldblooded and pitiless. Bye to Nancy Herndon, Stef Ann Holm - sorry, gals, but it's time to make room for Victoria Laurie and Tess Gerritsen. 

What's the upside of Clear-Out? Well, for one, I can see my closet floor for the first time since Thanksgiving . My bedroom feels lighter. I can go to sleep without worrying that the book I just tossed on top of my To-Be-Read pile will topple the whole stack. 

Downside? Hauling everything to the garbage and the charity bin. Last time, it took me four carloads get everything to Goodwill. 

The other downside? Sometimes, I wonder at my lack of sentimentality. Am I too cold-blooded? Is Clear-Out really a manic episode disguised as useful endeavour? Is this low ...

I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I just wanted it said. 

4 Comments:

Blogger The Merry said...

I am going to do a Cary imitation as I start packing things up to move.

I've got TOO MUCH @#$%!

think like Cary, think like Cary...

7:21 PM, January 07, 2008  
Blogger McB said...

Not unsentimental. Sentiment has its place, but not in every gimcrack and whatnot. I'm tackling some of that stuff myself, a little at a time. I've gone through a few bureau drawers, still putting off the bedroom closet. As to the basement ... don't rush me.

MNACN ... it's amazing the things you discover you don't really need when you have to face packing them. ;)

1:47 PM, January 08, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cary, I'm so glad you've put up a new post! And no, you are not cold-hearted. Quite the opposite. Interesting question as to whether this clear out is just smoke from another fire. Well, I don't know. But it IS useful, so why not take advantage of your energy no matter where that energy comes from? I clean house for emotional reasons, shame being only one. It feels better to have a good amount of empty space around me, and between things. And turning a bathroom into a sweet, sparkling hideout--ah, heavenly. Very Zen.

2:59 PM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Keziah Fenton said...

It's also the time of year. Clearing away the old to make way for the new. I just started a similar undertaking. I haven't gotten very far. I keep stopping to read every little slip of paper before it goes into the shredder. I have no idea why I'm still holding onto a a sketch of repairing a thermostat for a car I haven't owned in 20 years. :-) Except it reminds me of a time when I laughed easier. But the notes from university classes can go. My next really big project is my bookshelves. My TBR pile has some how spilled into four rooms. Something must be done.

8:33 AM, January 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home