Tuesday, March 13, 2007

No Peace

Now it seems even the limited solace of books is beyond my grasp. My whole life, books have been there for me; sometimes, the only one there for me. When I needed escape, when I needed to wrap myself up in someone else's life, books provided a path. When I could no longer feel my own pain, books were there to help me feel alive again.

All I needed was a book. A few pages, a few hundred words, and peace could be mine, if only for an hour or two.

Now, even that is gone. I don't remember the last time I was able to actually finish a new book. A To-Be-Read pile was a foreign concept to me. Now, my TBR pile takes up an entire shelf; bookmarks mock me every time I dare to look.

As for my old friends - the faithful, dog-eared companions that I thought would always be there for me - they've turned their backs on me. Like an old friend who's moved on with life, a few words is all the time they can spare for me now.

Know peace? Once upon a time, I did.

2 Comments:

Blogger McB said...

I go through that every so often. I pick up a book and I just can't focus. Its usually because I'm feeling stressed or just have things on my mind that I can't let go of. The books haven't let me down, I'm just having trouble letting them in.

Give it some time. Maybe its a question of finding the right book to fit your mood. Or finding the right mood to fit the book. You'll get there.

12:36 PM, March 20, 2007  
Blogger BCB said...

Cary, has it occurred to you that you are now strong enough you don't need to hide in books? Maybe something there is ready to be dealt with. Once you deal with it -- and yes, I think you are strong enough -- then you will regain the ability to lose yourself in someone else's story for the pure joy of it rather than as a defense.

Yes, I have been there, too.

7:23 AM, April 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home