Monday, October 09, 2006

Today I Went to the Shelter

I've been thinking off and on over the last couple of years about getting a dog now that I'm living in my own home. So, when the boss sent me home early, I decided to take the opportunity to drive up to the Oregon Humane Society. Spay, neuter, and leash your pets folks! Very sad to see all the dogs there.

You could tell some of the dogs just weren't very happy about the shelter kennel. They just lay in the back of their enclosures. Many of them didn't even come forward when you stopped at their cages.

Other dogs were more aggressive: hearing other dogs get to go out seemed to spawn a great deal of lunging, jumping, and barking. (It was a little like the scenes in Law & Order where the pretty assistant to the Assistant DA gets sent to the jailhouse to interview some creep and has to walk past all the inmates.)

There were a couple of small dogs who have just been "snipped". The older one just huddled, shaking, in the back of his cage. His eyes were all red and watery and he just looked so miserable (it didn't help that he was part beagle). The younger puppy was roaming all over his enclosure, no big deal at all.

I nearly lost my heart to this guy:



Great dog. He was brought in as a stray just before the weekend. They don't know his name, and he isn't used to the new name they christened him with. You could just see his confusion when you addressed him.

But he did know basic commands - sit, stay, etc. And he loved chasing the ball around. (I think he liked that even more than the treat!) He was a little difficult on the "walk", but he is probably trainable (he wanted to lead).

As much as I loved him, I'm just not sure. And if I'm not sure, he's not ready to come home with me.

I'm hoping that the woman with another area shelter returns my message about the older malamute/black lab mix she's fostering. I want to meet him and see if he's as perfect as he seems in his "personals ad".

3 Comments:

Blogger Andy P said...

Cary, you will know the right dog when it chooses you.
May I recommend that you visit an SPCA shelter.
My last 2 dogs came from there even though I visited many other shelters as well.
The last one, Sarah, chose me. I discounted her initially, too big, shy, plain looking, broken leg the list went on. I would visit 2 or 3 times a week and we got to know each other. I kept looking for some 'new' dogs but always said hello to Sarah.
After a few frustrating weeks, I asked a friend to acompany me to another shelter where we found nothing. On our way home we stopped to see Sarah. She was elated to see me. As we talked to a staff member, Sarah sat on my foot and looked up at me as if to ask "Can we go now?"
That was 5 years ago. She is the best dog I've ever had.
Within the first year she lost 15% of her body weight to reveal a sleak form, gained self confidence and we love each other more than anything.
I guess the lesson here is 'get to know your prospective pet'. It will tell you in it's own way if you are right together.

8:36 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger The Merry said...

Hey Cary,

I was just reading a post about single people and relationships and ran across this comment:

Since I indeed treat many people with the unfortunate genetic marker for depression / bi polar, I can affirm that these are often the STRONGEST souls iv'e known.

It takes real guts to seek out help when under the influence of this disease. Short to moderate term SSRI therapy included (as I have already posted) with good talk therapy with a skilled psychologist will more likely than not result in a very positive life.

These are some of the most desireable types of solid characters that one might hope to find as a developing relationship prospect.

11:18 AM, October 15, 2006  
Blogger Cary said...

Many thanks Mary, I needed this one today.

11:14 PM, October 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home