Friday, October 06, 2006

Somehow, We All Survive Our Childhood

That's my thought for the day. Somehow, we all survived. Whether our parents withheld sugars and sodas or withheld food altogether, somehow, we all survived.

Good news today: I finally have an appointment. With a nurse practicioner instead of a psychiatrist, but she can see me next week. It's a start.

I'm frightened for all the other people out there. I'm in insurance, so at least I know the ropes. What about everyone else out there? Even being in insurance, it took three "escalations", a total of 4 hours on the phone, 30 phone calls, and the intervention of my employer, our insurance broker (us), and the insurer's sales rep to get that one appointment.

It's no wonder that there are so many mental health related emergencies out there, if this is what it takes to get treated. Could you imagine if I'd attempted this while in the throes of a major depression, when you don't want to do anything? Or if I'd tried while sailing through a manic phase, when you're pulled in 10 different directions and your mind can't focus on any one of them?

I'm lucky to have a very supportive employer who believes in both mental and physical health. It's hard to imagine there are many employers out there who would actively encourage their employees spend work time trying to resolve this situation, but my employer did just that, throwing their weight as both insurance brokers and the insuring employer behind my calls and complaints.

Depression excepted, today was a GOOD day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home